Simple Community Engagement Framework
The WELCOME Toolkit (PDF 862.9 KB) stands for ‘We Love the Community Outreach Model of Engagement’. It is a simple checklist to help guide libraries to plan, develop and evaluate community outreach and engagement strategies aimed at hard-to-reach groups and non-members.
How to use it
The WELCOME Toolkit is a simple, but effective checklist, reminding us of the questions we need to ask and answer to develop effective engagement strategies. It asks staff to use their own expertise, but also provides some guidance for knowing when and how to draw on the expertise of others.
It consists of the following sections:
- Getting Started - to be completed in the planning stage of the event
- Reflection / Evaluation - to be completed after the event
- Appendix A – additional questions to use in tool kit
Each section consists of two layers of questions:
- Primary questions (i.e. Who, What, Where, When, and How) are the questions most of us think of when we look to develop engagement strategies;
- Secondary questions (which are sometimes overlooked).
The WELCOME toolkit was developed by a team of participants in the 2015 Library leadership program sponsored by the SLQ. The team consisted of 8 library staff from across 5 libraries as well as their mentor Deb Miles (SLQ). Team members included: Natalie Barker (Gold Coast), Debra Cooper (Logan), Janet McGuinness (Noosa), Amanda Neideck (Sunshine Coast), Melita Oehlman (Gold Coast), Susan Page (Logan), Rachel Shields (Noosa) and Sarah-Jane Steer (Gladstone). If you’d like to know more about the framework email Regional Partnerships.
If you’d like to try using the toolkit in your own library, we’d love to hear more about your experiences. What worked? What didn’t? What could we do to improve it? Share your story with Public Libraries Connect Newsletter.