Purpose and objectives
The group is a forum to share information, resources, and learning on programs, projects and services for children and young people in Queensland libraries and to generally:
- provide an opportunity for discussion on issues, regional baseline data and trends relating to children, young people, parents and carers – their needs, participation and feedback;
- share information on collections, new content, their access, promotion and preservation;
- distribute or conduct research and advocacy for the wider public library network on developments and trends relating to children and young people’s services in libraries;
- identify opportunities for new and innovative programs to inform the group so that programing ideas can be disseminated in public libraries where applicable, and to develop partnerships across library services and external organisations.
How the group / satellite groups work
- The group email list provides an ongoing space for seeking and sharing information with colleagues. Members are encouraged to participate;
- group meetings occur approximately 4 times a year scheduled at the start of the calendar year, adjusted as necessary. Distance and resources may limit group member’s capacity to travel;
- online conference facilities are used when possible to enable regional and remote participation. If unable to participate in meetings members can nominate a proxy to represent them;
- the host library provides a venue, facilities and light refreshments for the day, in addition to creating the agenda, which may include a tour of the library and / or guest speakers as required. The host library will also chair / facilitate the meeting and provide a minute taker;
- SLQ to host one annual meeting and coordinate an annual Professional Development day;
- an agenda to be provided at least one month prior to the meeting that reflects the purpose and objectives of the group;
- copies of papers to be considered by the meeting should as far as possible accompany the distribution of the agenda;
- recommendations / actions to be recorded against the current agenda and carried forward as necessary;
- minutes should be emailed to the attending SLQ representative to be added to the YPLG page and distributed via the yplib mailing list.
Role of Members
- To represent their organisations and provide a public client perspective in group discussions;
- share their knowledge and experience in order to develop best practice and maximise the value of young people’s collections and services throughout Queensland;
- to monitor, review and disseminate information, data and research in the provision of young peoples services and associated social media and applications;
- to keep their associated organisations informed of issues in services to children, young people and parents / carers that impact on local service provision;
- at times provide support and information for all members of the group through the mailing list and meetings;
- review these terms of reference every 2 years.