Skip links and keyboard navigation


Frequently asked questions about disability related services and resources for the use of Queensland public library staff and their clients.

Does Public Library Services lend braille material?

Braille material can be obtained from the Queensland Braille Writing Association library at Braille House in Brisbane (open Monday and Friday, 8.30am-1.30pm, please telephone before arriving). QBWA also teaches braille and the Moon system and can assist rural and regional clients. All postage for braille material is free.
Telephone (07) 3848 5257, fax (07) 3848 8099, email:

Does Public Libraries Services have toys for children with a disability?

Noah's Ark Resource Centre operates a toy and equipment lending service for children with disabilities and special needs. The Centre provides a mail/rail service to rural and regional children and their families.
Telephone (07) 3391 2166, fax (07) 3391 2053, email:

Where can magazines on tape or compact disc be obtained?

Hear-A-Book provides libraries and other institutions with audio books for people with a print disability. There is a wide variety of popular titles to choose from.
Telephone (03) 9520 5501, fax (03) 9521 3685, email:

Where in Queensland can material be read onto tape or compact discs for people with a print disability?

Queensland Narrating Service is a non-profit community organisation that can produce a variety of material on cassette and compact disc for individuals, organisations and groups.
Telephone (07) 3895 8555, fax (07) 3391 3716, email:

What support services are available for people with a disability in Queensland?

The Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services provide a range of services to meet the needs of people with a disability, and their families and carers. To find out more about Disability Services call 13 74 68 or telephone typewriter assistance (TTY) 133 677 or email:

Last updated
26th May 2017