Languages other than English (LOTE)
The LOTE (languages other than English) collection has over 70,000 items in more than 50 languages (PDF 116 KB). Each collection has fiction and non fiction for adults and young people. Other formats including large print books, audio books, DVDs and music CDs are also available in some languages. To find out if your language is available refer to the languages list above.
The LOTE collection is held in storage and is designed for those who wish to read in a language other than English. This includes those who speak a language other than English, multilingual speakers seeking to maintain fluency in a language other than English and English speakers who wish to learn another language.
Material from the collection is sent in bulk by request (see Bulk loan procedures) to public libraries throughout Queensland. Public library staff in Queensland can use the online form to request a bulk loan.
Members of the public wishing to borrow LOTE items should contact their local public library for this free service. Find your local public library by searching the Directory.
- Adult literacy resources The SLQ adult literacy collection has resources for improving literacy and learning English as a second language. The resources are suitable for students and literacy tutors. Complete this form to order items via your local Queensland public libraries.
- RLQ catalogue All LOTE items are listed in the RLQ online catalogue.
- Searching the RLQ catalogue for LOTE (PDF 666.9 KB) how to find your language in the RLQ catalogue.
- LOTE genre checklist (PDF 115.8 KB) To help library members identify items of interest use this list of LOTE collection genre stickers.
- Queensland Regional Profiles Statistics on languages spoken in your community to help your selection of LOTE resources.
- Queensland Regional Profiles how-to (PDF 1008.0 KB). How to use the Queensland Regional Profiles.
Create awareness of the breadth of LOTE resources available through your public library. Print this poster and flyer to distribute to customers. Include your library details before printing.
LOTE Collection Review
- 2013: State Library engaged AEC group to develop recommendations for a LOTE collection management strategy (PDF 1.1 MB).
- 2014: State Library considered the recommendations and incorporated proposals into the Multicultural Engagement Framework.
LOTE Collection Development
- Acquisition of language collections depends on availability of material within country of origin and the viability of its publishing industry.
- Annual purchasing profiles reflect population trends in Queensland and the demand for resources.
- Demand for some languages can wane and this is then considered a justification for deselection.
- Donations of LOTE are accepted subject to the same guidelines and collecting considerations that apply to items that are purchased. See RLQ Donation guidelines for details. As a rule, only Adult Fiction and Junior Fiction LOTE published in the last 5 years will be accepted.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages
Find out about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages, language centres and language resources in Queensland.
- Several Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander language books are available to read online